Released versions problem reports.
Before reporting bugs/problems with released OpenSMTPD versions,
go through this checklist:
- Check for patches
and notes regarding OpenSMTPD.
- Find out if there is a newer version available for OpenBSD
or for the portable release,
depending upon your platform.
- Check the FAQ for problems frequently reported
as bugs but which aren't.
- Check the list of
bugs fixed since the last release and
known bugs reported since the last release.
If nothing looks like it addresses your problem, then use the
to submit a bug report (but see below for reporting security
You can reach the OpenSMTPD developers by sending email to one of
the following lists.
Current version problem reports.
- Test the problem at least twice, with source updated a few days apart.
- Do not report source tree compilation problems, unless they persist.
They are almost always your mistake or they are being worked on
as you encounter them.
- Remember that the AnonCVS
servers are updated significantly behind the actual working source tree.
- Check for OpenSMTPD changes
to see if the problem has been addressed.
Sending in bug reports.
Try to pin-point the exact problem. Never give vague instructions,
or detail vague problems like "it crashes."
Talk to others on IRC or use some
other forum such as the
mailing list archives
to confirm that it is new, repeatable, etc., and make sure
it is not a local problem.
For an excellent overview of the art of reporting bugs, see Simon
How to Report Bugs Effectively. Remember, the better the
information in your report, the better the chance that your problem
will be resolved.
New features are accepted, especially with code that implements
your suggested new feature.
If someone else writes code for your new feature, the chances are that
it will be misunderstood and created so that you will not recognize it.
Types of bug reports in order of desirability:
- Repeatable problems with source fixes are the best.
- Repeatable problems that are not specific to your hardware/software
- Repeatable problems specific to your software layout.
- Repeatable problems specific to your hardware layout.
$OpenBSD: report.html,v 1.6 2016/10/31 20:52:22 tb Exp $